Italienische FassungTreaty of Friendship between the Republic of Venice and the Dukedom of Styria
In their great wisdom Marianna Lutetiae Foscari, Contessa della Valle dell'Ombrone, Viscontessa dell'Ossola Inferiore, Doge of the Republic of Venice and Hernan_Cortez von Sanneck, Duke of Styria – in the name of their peoples - wish to write down a treaty of friendship and cooperation demonstrating their closeness and mutual ideals. Article I – Involvement on other treaties
Both contracting parties commit themselves to avoid other contracts, agreements or declaration which are hostile to the other party or contradict this treaty.
Hostile are those contracts, agreements and declaration which are damaging to the other parties domain.Article II – Non-aggression
1. Each signee acknowledges that he has no legitimate sovereignty over the other party. All contracting parties guarantee the sanctity of their borders and bound themselves to accept armies of the other as friendly.
2. The Republic of Venice and the Dukedom of Styria mutually bound themselves to drive no military operation against each other.
3. Both parties are not liable for uprisings caused by illegitimate armies originating from one country and marauding in the other. But in such a case they will ally themselves to combat the traitors.
4. The Republic of Venice and the Dukedom of Styria, together with their councils and peoples mutually promise not to cause or advance uprisings in the other country.Article III – Right of passage
Each contracting party allows citizens of the other party to travel freely in their domain, as long as they peace- and respectfully accord to the local law. Article IV – Economical cooperation
1. The contracting parties commit themselves to support economical as well a business agreements and will avoid any step to destabilize the other partys economy
2. The contracting parties also commit themselves to uphold communication between the ministers of commerce to support an optimal economic collaboration.Article V – Culture
1. The contracting parties advance and support all initiatives and projects in this direction down to community level. Their diplomats will inform them about very cultural event.
2. Each citizen, wishing to journey to the other country will be liable to to respect the traditions and customs there.Article VI – Continuity of diplomatic relations between the parties of the treaty
Each signing party bounds itself to send a diplomat to the office of the other to ensure the continuation of the fruitful cooperation and will report periodically events of all kinds.Article VII – Modifications
This treaty only may be modified by a written agreement between both parties. If no agreement is reached, the treaty stays valid as it is.Article VIII – Cancelation
1. The signers and their successors commit themselves to adhere to the articles of this treaty.
2. The treaty may be canceled either by silent consensual implication or if one of the articles is violated.
In case of a violation, the aggrieved party may decide to not cancel the treaty by sending an official letter within 4 (four) days, expressing the wish to continue the treaty.
3. In case one of the contracting parties declares war to the other, or attacks an ally, this treaty is automatically void.
4. In case one of the signatories wants to end this treaty, they must send an official letter to the others council. The addressed party has 4 (for) days to acknowledge the cancellation. Should this time pass without such an acknowledge, the treaty is declared void automatically.
Both parties are bound to publish a note about the cancellation.Article IX – Final provisions
This treaty will be valid as soon as both parties' councils ratify it to manifest their mutual respect and will stay so until it is canceled.
This treaty is written in two versions, one German, one Italian. Both have the same virtue and validity. Given at Venice, February 28th 1458For the Republic of Venice:
Marianna Lutetiae Foscari, Contessa della Valle dell'Ombrone, Viscontessa dell'Ossola Inferiore
The Chamberlain of the Republic of Venice,
Don Ludovico I Della Scala detto Nicuz, Conte di Feltre e Barone di Sona
Rebecca Magic_eagle Foscari For the Dukedom of Styria:
Signed by his Highness Hernan_Cortez von Sanneck, Duke of Styria